Saturday, March 3, 2007

VORTEX at Little Five Points


He says:
What can I say about Vortex that hasn't already been said? This Little Five Points burger joint is a true Atlanta institution. For some reason I end up there every few weeks, sometimes on a lazy Wednesday afternoon, other times during the Friday dinner rush, and my experience is always the same: I get a fantastic burger and a bottomless glass of Coke served by a waitress dressed for an S&M party. With food this good, the wait staff can dress however they want.

The Vortex's aesthetic can best be described as Hells Angels meets the NYC subway system circa 1976. It's a grungy warren of tables set so close together you'll bump elbows with a tattooed neighbor several times over the course of your meal. Trust me, he won't mind; it's a casual place.

She says:
So true. The last time we were there, a guy in a leather vest came around with invitations to the Clairmont Lounge to celebrate his tattoo parlor's anniversary. This kind of wackiness makes Vortex a fun place to bring out-of-town visitors. They have a great selection of beers, including local brews like my new favorite, Sweet Georgia Brown. With the memory of walking in through a giant glowing skull, reading the no-nonsense rules on the front of the menu (such as no whining, no idiots or jerks allowed, and "tip or die"), your friends won't soon forget this place.

He says:
For starters you can go for the onion rings or fries, but I would recommend the tator tots. They're the best I've ever had -- perfectly crunchy on the outside, delicate in the middle, and infinitely superior to those sorry dregs I ate back in public school. The chili and Caesar salad aren't bad either. The Vortex has so many hamburger choices on their menu that it's hard to know where to start. Do you keep it simple and go for the straight-forward Original Burger? Or do you order the Black and Blue (a burger blackened with Cajun spices and blue cheese)? It doesn't matter. I've tried enough of them at this point to know they're all awesome. The Chili Cheeseburger is a delicious mess that will have you licking beef fat and turkey chili off your fingers. The Coronary Bypass (fried egg, American cheese, bacon) will give you a heart attack, but only after you've gone to burger heaven.

She says:
And if beef isn't your thing (definitely not mine), substitute it with a turkey, veggie, or black-bean patty, grilled chicken breast, or even an ostrich burger. I always opt for the veggie burger, as they're better than most. I just wish Vortex served milkshakes. But I swear I'm not whining.

We say:
There are better burgers in America, but none as good in Atlanta.



VORTEX
438 Moreland Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307
http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/TheVortex/index.htm

No comments: