Saturday, April 28, 2007

FINALE

She says:
Every city has its up-scale, ultimate-date-spot dessert restaurant. For Boston, this is Finale. After a long day of walking around the city, Downtown Boy and I stopped at their Coolidge Corner branch (there are two other locations at Harvard and Park Plaza). The first floor was filled with smartly-dressed Bostonians, but we were quickly ushered upstairs to sit among the other sneaker-wearing tourists. Hmph.

The place reminded me of a 1970’s lounge, complete with plush red bench seats and carpet to match. And the waitress didn’t help to put us at ease with her strict rules about what we could and could not order (no ordering from the display case downstairs).

Fortunately, Finale’s desserts were fantastic: they were delicious, complex, and gorgeously presented. I ordered the Manjari Mousse, a rich bittersweet chocolate mousse layered with chocolate buttermilk cake. Yum. It was served with a napoleon of blackberry cabernet sorbet and strudel dough, and to top it off, a delicate stick of crystallized sugar. The waitress assured me that the sugar stick is completely edible, but as you can see in the photo, it’s just really pretty.


I think that Downtown Boy was also thoroughly enjoying his cheesecake, but I was too deep in my chocolate bliss to pay much attention.

Did I mention that I ate the leftover mousse for breakfast the next morning? Not only is Finale a delicious way to end the day … it’s a pretty good start to the day as well.




Finale
1306 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02446
http://www.finaledesserts.com/

No comments: