Tuesday, May 8, 2007

CAMELI'S PIZZA

He says:
I was born and bred in New York City, so I can speak with some authority on pizza. And when it comes to pizza, some cities have it and some do not. Brooklyn has some of the best pizza in America. Manhattan has some of the worst. So does Boston. Chicago’s not bad if you dig thick crust.

Atlanta, I must say, is not a good pizza city. Between the soggy pies at Mellow Mushroom and the dreary offerings of Papa John’s, it’s hard to find a decent slice in this burg. That’s why I was excited to read several strong reviews on Cameli’s Gourmet Pizza, which some call the best pizzeria in Atlanta. When a fellow New Yorker said they served “a pizza-lover’s pizza,” I knew I had to check it out.

Cameli’s is located in that depressing Kroger complex on Ponce. The inside is standard pizzeria décor, with Formica tables and booths. For some reason there are windows hanging in front of the windows … don’t ask me why.

She says:
Downtown Boy and I, along with our two friends, ordered two specialty pizzas, the “Tranquilo” and the “Pax Americana.” Now I’m not from NYC, and I’m certainly no pizza connoisseur. I do, however, think that the “Tranquilo,” (with pesto, chicken, mushrooms and onions) was excellent. The subtle sweetness of the onions, paired with the zestiness of the pesto… blah blah blah… The pizza just tasted really good!

He says:
The Pax Americana (with sun dried tomato sauce, spinach, chicken, and feta) was alright, but definitely not up to par with the Tranquilo. The sun-dried tomato sauce was bland, and there wasn’t enough of it. This, combined with the over-baked crust, made for some seriously dry eating. I will give Cameli’s props for their attempt at thin-crust, which most pizzarias in Atlanta butcher.

I polished off the meal with “The Monster Slice,” which was the size of a kite. Seriously, it was the biggest slice of pizza I have ever seen. It was pretty good too, better than the Pax America, but once again the dry crust threw off the pizza’s otherwise fine balance of cheese and sauce.

We say:
Cameli’s is definitely better than any other pizza in Atlanta. But it doesn’t compare with Brooklyn’s best. And Cameli’s, if you’re listening, styrofoam cups are so out.



Cameli's Gourmet Pizza
699 Ponce De Leon Ave, Atlanta, GA 30308
http://www.camelispizza.com/

No comments: