Thursday, April 3, 2008

AMERICAN ROADHOUSE

She says:
The first thing you should know about American Roadhouse is that it is not open for dinner, only breakfast and lunch, despite what other reviews may lead you to believe. We learned this the inconvenient way. The second thing you should know is that if you arrive at noon on a Sunday, you are going to wait for a table for a loooong time, despite the large capacity. It’s a popular place. The third thing you should know is that whatever you order from the extensive menu, it’s going to be big. As our friend who ate with us so insightfully noted, “This is called American Roadhouse!” Even the restaurant’s website states that it serves “some of the largest portions in the country.” And in this country that’s quite a claim to fame!

I tried the breakfast burrito, your typical combo of flour tortilla, scrambled eggs, cheese, sautéed onion and green pepper, jalapenos, and salsa. I’ve decided that this dish is impossible to screw up – I’ve yet to have a bad one. Downtown Boy even whipped one up from the dredges of our fridge a few weekends ago that was pretty damn good. My only critique of American Roadhouse’s burrito was the dryness of the tortilla, which is also my complaint about the biscuit that came on the side. I’ve never tasted such a terrible, dry biscuit. Pillsbury does better than this! The other side dishes I selected – fruit and soy sausage – were unremarkable.

He says:
Creative Loafing said American Roadhouse had a great catfish sandwich. I couldn’t find catfish on the menu, but the fried haddock sandwich came close enough. This was one humongous fish. The fillet was as long and thick as my forearm, and I do dumbbell curls. The fillet wasn’t particularly fresh, but it was golden brown and wonderfully crunchy. After eating this 12-inch monster in its hoagie bun, I didn’t have to eat for the rest of the day. The accompanying French fries were a pleasant surprise, fresh cut and spiced with herbs. I rounded out this enormous meal with a mocha to go. It came in an American Roadhouse-sized cup, which is equivalent to a Starbucks venti. I can eat a lot, but this was overkill!

She says:
As for our friend’s beautiful waffles, she noted, “A waffle’s a waffle.”

We say:
The food may not be extraordinary, but it’s plentiful and cheap.




American Roadhouse
842 North Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 30306
http://www.american-roadhouse.com/

No comments: