Sunday, December 7, 2008

ZINGERMAN'S (Ann Arbor, MI)

He says:
I used to live two blocks away from Zingerman’s delicatessen, and long before ever stepping inside myself, I knew that I was in the presence of greatness. Maybe it was seeing the long lines of people standing in the freezing rain on football Saturdays, happily waiting for one of Zingerman’s famous sandwiches. Maybe it was because foodie friends in New York got wide-eyed whenever I mentioned I lived in Ann Arbor, MI and immediately asked if I’d eaten at Zingerman’s yet. Maybe it was because my roommate came home one day and gave me slice of chili cheddar bread, a crusty loaf so delicious and so sublime that I never looked at bread the same way again.

To say that Zingerman’s is the best delicatessen in the world doesn’t do justice to this Ann Arbor institution. Owners Paul Saginaw and Ari Weinzweig love food, and for over 20 years they have crossed the globe seeking out the world’s best ingredients (cheeses, coffee beans, cured meats, olive oils, the list goes on ...), mastered the art of bread-baking and sandwich-making, and wedded this all with top-notch customer service. The result is nothing less than the gastronomic mecca of America.

She says:
The deli and coffee house are lodged in two red-brick buildings in the middle of the historic Kerrytown neighborhood. While Zingerman’s has grown to include a creamery, coffee roaster, and Southern diner (The Roadhouse), the owners have stuck to a forward-thinking business plan that ensures the quality of their food and service isn’t jeopardized in the name of expansion. You can, however, get their fabulous foods shipped anywhere in America through their mail order service.

Speaking of customer service … it’s one more area in which Zingerman’s excels. Their emphasis on over-the-top friendliness is legendary (heck, they even offer customer service training seminars!). It’s not unusual to have a long hungry line behind you as you order your sandwiches, but I guarantee the server will greet you with a bright smile, patiently help you maneuver the extensive menu, and even provide free samples to help you make your decision.

He says:
There are dozens of wonderful sandwiches on Zingerman’s menu, but if you asked for my favorite, I’d have to go with #48, Binny’s Brooklyn Reuben. To this day it remains the best sandwich I’ve ever had. Situated between two crusty slices of grilled pumpernickel are Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and slices of pastrami so fatty and molten that to taste it for the first time is a transformative moment. The balance of salty, sour, and creamy elements in this sandwich is unparalleled.

She says:
My favorite item is actually not a sandwich, but Stewart’s Farmer’s Hash. The mix of roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, spinach and shallots is SO delicious… The sweet potatoes and fried shallots add a hint of sweetness to the savory blend, which is all perfectly balanced with a dip of sour cream. Recently I’ve also tried Abra’s Nutty Yard Bread, a chicken salad set on pecan raisin bread. Again, the sweet/savory combo works well, and the nutty bread adds a fabulous texture. I think that’s what makes Zingerman’s sandwiches so unique (besides the top notch ingredients) – their ability to create combinations as innovative as they are tasty.

On my last visit to Zingerman’s I ordered Jay’s BBQ Chicken sandwich. The Amish chicken is smothered in Zingerman’s own BBQ sauce, topped with Vermont cheddar, and served on a bun. The rich, sweet BBQ sauce makes this new entry irresistible.

He says:
I usually order the deep-fried knish as well, the best off-the-menu item in any restaurant, ever. A regular potato knish is deep-fried so the interior turns piping hot and the usually doughy skin becomes golden brown and extra crunchy, perfect for dipping with the accompanying spicy mustard.

If I’m not too full, I head over to the coffee shop next door and order my second favorite off-the-menu item, an ice cream sandwich made from graham crackers and Zingerman’s Creamery gelato. The thick, crunchy grahams are made in-house and the gelato is among the best you’ll find outside of Italy.

She says:
Zingerman’s Next Door is my favorite place to linger. There you can sample their uber-rich gelato, browse a global selection of chocolates, admire their cakes (Hummingbird is the best!), sample their yummy pastries, or order some of the best coffee around.
I am absolutely in love with their mochas. The quality of the coffee contributes to their perfection, but even more important is the excellent chocolate they use. The end result is a sweet, rich, caffeinated treat with no hint of any icky aftertaste you often get with a less superior mocha.

We say:
We’ve barely begun describing all of the wonderful items available at Zingerman’s. We could go on and on, but really, this is a place you must experience for yourself!




Zingerman’s
422 Detroit St., Ann Arbor, MI 48104
http://www.zingermans.com/

1 comment:

Claudine said...

I just sent Christmas gifts from Zingermans, based on Cook's Illustrated's rave reviews of their coffee cake. Even with online ordering, the attention to customer service was immediately obvious. Funny to read about it here, now, a month later, and to find out you can eat there too. I had never heard of them before and didn't think about it being an actual place to go eat sandwiches.