Sunday, March 15, 2009

PIROSHKY PIROSHKY

He says:
Several years back I found myself in a ravenous state while exploring Seattle’s downtown for the very first time, and I headed into Pike Place Market desperately seeking a cheap, hearty snack. As luck would have it, I stumbled right into Piroshsky Piroshsky, a tiny shop that sells the small, stuffed pies that gives the store its name. The Russian word for “little feast,” a piroshky is a handheld pie that can contain anything from beef to mushrooms to fruit. The array of sweet and savory choices in Piroshsky Piroshsky’s display case is dazzling.

On our latest jaunt to Seattle, I ordered the cheddar cheese piroshky for nostalgia’s sake, and it’s just as delicious as I remember it. Thick wads of cheddar are baked right into the golden spirals of the moist, oily bun. Every bite must have been at least 200 calories – no matter, it’s totally worth it.

Uptown Girl ordered the chocolate-cardamom piroshky, which looked sweet and filling. Yum!

This isn’t fancy food by any means … just street food at its best.




Piroshsky Piroshsky

1908 Pike Pl, Seattle, WA 98101
http://www.piroshkybakery.com/

No comments: