Friday, January 25, 2008

SWEET MELISSA'S

She says:
I don’t know why we’ve never reviewed Sweet Melissa’s before… It’s one of our favorite brunch spots, and, along with the Vortex, one of the few restaurants in Atlanta that we go back to again and again. In fact, we were back this past weekend, so it seems a review is in order.

This Decatur restaurant is nothing fancy, just a comfortable dining room with a mix of booths and tables, with local art adorning the walls. On weekend mornings, they generally have live music… I think it’s been the same duet of hippy dudes every time we’ve been there – one on bass, another singing and playing guitar. And the waitresses are incredibly friendly. So basically, it’s the type of place you go when you want to feel at home.

But the real reason to go to Sweet Melissa’s is the pancakes. Besides the standard side orders of fried eggs or grits, the only thing I’ve ever eaten there are the pancakes. They are so good, I can’t imagine going to Sweet Melissa’s and not ordering them. Made with yogurt, they are the perfect density (not airy and insubstantial, but not too thick either), and are wonderfully buttery, griddled to a lovely golden brown. I always get two cakes with chocolate chips cooked inside, which satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me full almost all day long. This past weekend I tried their pumpkin pancakes. They were good, with a distinct pumpkin flavor, but I think the season for pumpkin-infused foods ends in December. Plus the original recipe really can’t be beat.

He says:

Uptown Girl pretty much said it all … Sweet Melissa’s is the king (or is it queen?) of pancakes. I think the restaurant’s only weakness is that it doesn’t fare as well in its other breakfast items. That might not be an issue if you only crave pancakes, but it’s slightly problematic for an omelet and grit lover like me. The biscuits and gravy are alright, but not at the level as those found at West Egg Café. The grits are serviceable, but not as good as the Flying Biscuit’s. And overall I prefer the creative spunk of the menu at Ria’s Bluebird.

So what does an omelet lover do at Sweet Melissa’s? Easy. You order the pancakes =)

We say:

For the best pancakes in… well, anywhere, go to Sweet Melissa’s.



Sweet Melissa’s

127 East Court Square, Decatur, GA 30033
www.sweetmelissas.com

No comments: