Monday, March 24, 2008

R. THOMAS DELUXE GRILLE

He says:
If you’re ever wondering what to order at a restaurant, ask the waiter what the most popular dish is. I got this tip from a magazine recently, and it’s darn good advice! When I asked this question at the bohemian eatery R. Thomas, where we recently dined with two of our friends, our waitress immediately responded, “The Thai Bowl. Everyone gets it.”

Unfortunately, I failed to take my own advice. Instead I ordered the organic salmon piccata, a fillet of salmon marinated in lemon and clarified butter. The salmon was tender enough, but its flavors were strangely muted. Neither the butter nor lemon had a strong presence, which made me wonder if the fish had been steamed. On the side, the raw kale salad and hiziki (a sea vegetable from Japan) in Dijon were too pickled for my taste; the quinoa had a great hearty texture though.

She says:
One of our friends and I did order the Thai Bowl – he had also suggested it based on previous visits. The dish is composed of a mélange of sautéed vegetables mixed with peanut sauce on a bed of quinoa. We both ordered tofu with ours, although it normally comes with the option of tempeh or chicken. I was a little disappointed with the peanut sauce, which I generally expect to be on the sweeter side, but this sauce was heavily soy sauce based. Otherwise, the dish tasted very wholesome and fresh.

Our other friend ordered the second “most popular” dish, the Down Home (it’s basically a smorgasbord of veggies, including collard greens). She commented that the millet corn casserole was what you’d get if meatloaf and cornbread ever procreated – I’m not sure whether that was a compliment or not, but she did clean her plate!

One of the great things about R Thomas is its strong vegetarian menu, but it also has plenty of organic meat dishes to keep everyone happy. Breakfast is literally served all day since this place is open 24/7. Another interesting aspect of the menu is its wide selection of fresh juices, smoothies, and other beverages. The Chai I ordered tasted real – not like a mix – and it was perfectly sweetened with honey. One of our friends ordered a shot of coconut kefir (fermented green coconut milk), which the waitress sternly warned was “very good” for digestion. We’ll have to ask her how that worked out.

He says:
I had the Big Bang, a hot concoction of apple juice, lemons, and ginger. Each of these ingredients came through loud and clear, especially the zing of the lemon, which definitely cleared my sinuses!

What I like about R. Thomas is that it is a breath of fresh air in a city like Atlanta. Downtown Girl said that it’s the kind of place you’d find Portland, OR, and I have to agree that its hippy flair makes it stand out from the other eateries on Peachtree. Along the restaurant’s exterior you’ll find actual parrots in cages, as well as a dizzying array of wind chimes and other knick-knacks. The inside is a cross between a tiki bar and a 70’s disco, with its woven grass decorations and rainbow colored lights. Yup, it’s a trip.

We say:
Order whatever the waitress says to at this vegetarian wonderland.




R. Thomas Deluxe Grill

1812 Peachtree St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30309
http://www.rthomasdeluxegrill.com/index.htm

1 comment:

kayce. said...

I have only been to R. Thomas' once, but next time you go, try the veggies w/ hummus (it's in the appetizer section)... They had the best carrots I ever tasted; they were literally flame-broiled. I know that may not sound appetizing on a carrot, but it absolutely is, especially w/ the creamy hummus for dipping. What I love most about R. Thomas' is that I can get full w/ out feeling guilty, and you gotta love that juice bar! Also, have you tried the raw apple pie? Interesting, and not what I expected, but worth trying.

chefthecity.blogspot.com