Thursday, September 10, 2009

TOP 10 ATLANTA RESTAURANTS FOR VISITORS


He says:
Uptown Girl recently sent me a Yelp reviewer’s list of Top 10 places to take visitors in Atlanta. I totally disagreed with it, but it got me thinking … If I had a new visitor in town, where should I take them? For me, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be best restaurants in the city; rather it should show off what makes Atlanta Atlanta, if you get what I mean. I challenged Uptown Girl to take 5 minutes to dash off a list of her Visitor Top 10 while I came up with my own.

Here’s my Top 10, in no particular order.

  • Daddy D'z BBQ: BBQ in the South rocks, and this place rocks harder than most.
  • Vortex: Atlanta excels at hamburgers, and the Vortex has some of the best. That, and a giant skull entrance.
  • Six Feet Under: Fried catfish + city views from the balcony = perfection.
  • Flying Biscuit: You need to have biscuits and grits in Atlanta, and this place has the best of both.
  • Ria's Bluebird: In a city with great brunch spots, this is the best.
  • Sun in my Belly: Top notch ingredients and dishes in one of the loveliest spaces in town.
  • Alon's: The best croissants, cookies, and paninis around. Yum.
  • Bacchanalia: Atlanta’s best restaurant deserves a spot on this list.
  • The Earl: If only other restaurants put as much thought into their burgers as the Earl ….
  • Morelli's Ice Cream: Flavors like coconut japaleno and ginger lavender make this a must visit.

She says:
Considering how frequently Downtown Boy and I disagree on most things, we were surprised to see how closely our lists matched. Both of our lists included …


Here are my differing three:

  • Taqueria del Sol: With such a sunny disposition, there are few days in Atlanta during which a selection of yummy soft-shell tacos (the fried chicken and fish tacos are my favs), fresh guac, and refreshing sangria don’t hit the spot.
  • Watershed: This is about the only place you can find fried chicken and the traditional sides that don’t leave you feeling like you took a dip in a deep fryer.
  • Two Urban Licks: Only for the fact that it is SO over the top! A visitor to Atlanta needs to understand this city’s wannabe superstar side too.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

My faves are Two Urban Licks and Food 101. I'm sad that I lived in Atlanta for such a short time, as there are SO MANY great places to eat there!